Laurel Legal Services, Inc. Seeks Executive Director
This is a highly responsible administrative position involving the overall professional and administrative direction, planning and management of a legal services program.
The Executive Director is responsible for planning, organizing, directing and coordinating all phases of a legal services program. Work involves serving as chief advisor to the Board of Directors and all problems of management, making recommendations on improving the total operations and analyzing records and reports to determine the agency's effectiveness. Work includes making decisions involving policy interpretations or exercising independent judgment within a framework of established policy and existing laws, regulations, instructions, contracts, and guidelines governing legal service programs. Direction and authority is exercised over all subordinate professional, administrative and clerical staff. Work is performed with considerable independence.
The Executive Director is answerable directly to the Board of Directors. The work of the Executive Director is to be reviewed by the Board of Directors for program effectiveness and attainment of goals through conferences, reports and recommendations at least twice a year in such a manner as the Board of Directors may describe.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK
- Plans, organizes, directs and coordinates the overall operations and management activities of a legal services program.
- Serves as chief advisor to the Board of Directors on all phases of legal services management.
- Develops and recommends administrative policies and procedures in the development of policy.
- Directs the development, preparation and administration of the Board’s operating, capital, and Private Attorney Involvement budgets.
- Interprets policies from the Board and resolves major policy and administrative questions.
- Expected and required to attend appropriate training conferences, sessions, or workshops.
- Identifies new revenue sources and engage in fundraising.
- Prepares compliance reports for funders. Prepares continuing and new grant applications.
- Travels as required.
- Does all of the above in regard to Private Attorney Involvement cases and clients.
- Does community outreach as requested or required. Works with appropriate community groups or organization as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Considerable knowledge of the applications of legal principles to individual cases or problems. Considerable knowledge of the law, court procedures, and administrative procedures and rules.
- Considerable knowledge of rules, regulations, instructions, guidelines, contracts and memorandum of all funding sources.
- Considerable knowledge of the principles and methods of administration supervision. Ability to plan, organize and coordinate all phases of a legal services program.
- Ability to make policy decisions and interpretations and to correct inadequate or inefficient operations. Ability to supervise and direct the work.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates, subordinates, bar associations, funding sources and the public.
- Ability to express ideas clearly and concisely, orally and in writing.
- Ability to get along with clients, co-workers, members of the bench and bar, and the public.
MINIMUM TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
Graduation from a college or university with a B.S. or B.A. Graduation from an American Bar Association accredited law school, admission to the Pennsylvania Bar in good standing and five (5) years of administrative experience, preferably with a legal services program, or any equivalent combination of experience and training. Knowledge of Federal and State regulations for legal services programs is a plus.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates must submit their application not later than May 28, 2019. To apply, please submit the following documents:
- A cover letter
- A current resume that includes all experience, education, training, outside activities
- A list of professional references
All applications and inquiries should be sent, via email, to:
Subject Line: Laurel Legal Services Executive Director Application
Compensation commensurate with experience.
Laurel Legal Services Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer.