Legal Aid of the Bluegrass Seeks Business Director
A Business Director is sought by Legal Aid of the Bluegrass, a well-respected non-profit organization serving Kentucky residents for over 50 years. The Business Director is responsible for all non-legal operations within the programs and works closely with the Executive Director and Advocacy Director to ensure the mission is fulfilled as effectively and efficiently as possible. The role leads management and administration functions of the organization with a specific focus on finance, grants management, human resources, information technology systems and supports, facilities, group buying and vendor relations, and organizational assessment. The Business Director is a leader who develops the structure, systems, procedures, administrative controls, and reporting, and cultivates the talent necessary to facilitate management of the organization. In addition to operating responsibility for the organization, the Business Director bears the responsibility of assuring that the program is strategically positioned for the future.
Legal Aid of the Bluegrass provides high quality legal assistance through direct representation, education, advice, advocacy and coordination with other community resources to low-income and other vulnerable populations in a 33-county service area in central and northern Kentucky. VonLehman & Company is a CPA and Advisory firm retained to conduct the Business Director search for our client.
Essential Functions and Duties
- Working in partnership with the Executive Director, the Business Director develops new processes and approaches to implement a newly created five-year strategic plan.
- Serves as a key member of the executive leadership and partners with the senior management team to ensure that they establish and meet appropriate operating budgets and grow services to meet the organization’s mission and needs.
- Serves as Team Leader for the Operations Team and is a member of the Leadership team.
- Serves as a visible and accessible leader who provides daily mentorship within the organization and builds relationships to encourage a collaborative and team-oriented environment.
- Creates an environment that incorporates Legal Aid of the Bluegrass’s core values and supports learning and growth to maintain high professional standards and effectively manage work allocation, and the building of effective team dynamics.
- Oversees all financial systems and processes to assure accurate and timely financial management and reporting.
- Oversees human resources function and systems to ensure compliance and effective compensation and benefits programs that attract and retain top talent.
- Oversees information technology to ensure that Legal Aid of the Bluegrass has the most effective and efficient IT solutions in place.
- Works with Board of Directors, providing briefings at Board meetings and staffing Board committees as directed by the Executive Director.
- Oversees and manages external vendors, currently in areas of finance, human resources, IT and network administration.
- Oversees, manages implementation of, and further refines systems for organizational evaluation, including routine reporting by teams of accomplishments, key team metrics, and other outcome metrics.
- Serve as mentor to the team leads of Finance, HR and IT.
The successful candidate will have knowledge and experience in the finance, governance, management, and administration of a national or regional nonprofit, or other complex, multi-faceted organization, and a sincere interest in the mission of Legal Aid of the Bluegrass. Experience with human services, civil rights and social justice organizations is highly desirable. At a minimum, the candidate will have 10 years of nonprofit experience. Specific skills, experience and success in the following key areas is required:
- Customer Oriented– capable of discerning the needs and wants of both internal and external customers, and designing effective products, services and solutions; clearly conveys belief in and commitment to the success of the program and advocacy teams.
- Results-Driven-proven track record of exceeding goals and a bottom-line orientation; evidence of the ability to consistently make good decisions through a combination of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgment; high level of business acumen including successful P&L management; the ability to balance the delivery of programs alongside the realities of a budget; and problem solving, project management, and creative resourcefulness.
- Strategic Vision and Agility-ability to think strategically, anticipate future consequences and trends, and incorporate them into the organizational plan.
- Capacity Building—ability to effectively build organization and staff capacity, developing a top-notch workforce and the processes that ensure the organization runs smoothly; knowledge and experience with a multi-generation workforce.
- Leadership and Organization-exceptional capacity for managing and leading people; a team builder who has experience in scaling up organizations; ability to connect with staff on both an individual level and in large groups; capacity to enforce accountability, recognize, develop and empower top-notch leaders at all levels of the organization, cultivate entrepreneurship, and learn the strengths and weaknesses of the team and position people to succeed.
- Action Oriented—enjoys working hard and looking for challenges; able to act and react decisively as necessary, even if limited information is available; skilled at assessing and engaging business risk; unafraid to take charge of a situation; effective in building support and achieving buy-in, both internally and externally.
- General Management—thorough understanding of finance, systems, and HR; broad experience with the full range of business functions and systems, including strategy development and planning, budgeting, business analysis, finance, information systems, human resources, and marketing. Ability to simultaneously address a wide-range of complex, competing issues.
- Education—undergraduate degree required; MBA or similar advanced degree highly desired.
Must hold a valid driver’s license and have reliable transportation to commute to and from all Legal Aid of the Bluegrass locations in Ashland, Covington, Lexington and Morehead, trainings and other events.
Legal Aid of the Bluegrass is an Equal Opportunity Employer that celebrates diversity and encourages professional development.
To Apply: Send cover letter and resume to: Erin Young, HR Consultant, VonLehman & Company at firstname.lastname@example.org.