Disaster Relief Emergency Grants
LSC currently has one disaster relief grant program that is open for applications.
Disaster- or Emergency-Relief Grant Program
LSC's Emergency Relief Grants provide funds as needed to LSC grantees in areas with government-declared emergencies. Those funds are for responses to damage sustained or a surge in demand for legal aid as a result of the emergency. Instructions for applying appear below. Please see our Emergency Grants notice in the Federal Register.
We have developed expertise in supporting emergency and disaster responses through a network of legal services and national partners to help our grantees better serve low-income clients when disasters or emergencies occur. Through a coordinated national infrastructure, we provide access to resources and information vital for legal aid organizations' response to disasters and emergencies.
We seek to fund proposals to provide the following services:
- Mitigate the damage sustained by our grantees
- Address the surge in demand for legal aid as a result of a disaster
In order to apply for an Emergency Relief Grant, your program must meet the following criteria:
- Be a current LSC grantee and;
- Provide services in an area where any government, tribal government, or equivalant has made an emergency declaration, including federally declared disasters as identified by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA); or
- Provide services in an area where there has been any other substantial emergency. Please contact LSC if you are unsure if your emergency qualifies.
How to Apply
There is no application deadline. You may submit the application within a reasonable time after the disaster or emergency event has taken place. Please email email@example.com to request an application.
Reporting, Compliance Requirements & Applicable Law
All grants and grant recipients are subject to all the requirements of the Legal Services Corporation Act and any applicable appropriations acts, laws, rules, regulations, policies, guidelines, instructions, and other directives. These provisions contain restrictions on the activities of those who receive our funds and may affect the eligibility of potential applicants. Recipients of LSC Emergency Relief Grants must comply with all LSC requirements.
Please visit Grantee Guidance for more detailed information about reporting and compliance requirements as well as applicable law.
We accept applications on a rolling basis. If you are considering applying, we encourage you to email us to discuss your specific circumstances.