LSC's Innovations in Technology Conference
The ITC grew out of LSC's Technology Initiative Grant (TIG) Program, which seeks to expand access to justice by promoting technological innovations in legal services delivery and pro se assistance. It brings together a broad range of professionals to showcase technology projects and tools being implemented across the country and internationally to promote access to justice and high-quality legal representation for low-income people. The conference also provides an opportunity to network with a community of colleagues and to cultivate project ideas that could lead to successful TIG applications.
Speakers and Workshops
The Legal Services Corporation is currently accepting Speaker and Workshop Proposals for the 2021 Innovations in Technology Conference. The conference will include keynotes, plenaries, and a variety of break-out sessions, including technology demonstrations, short tech talks, and workshops showcasing best practices and lessons learned. There will also be affinity sessions for informal discussions around topics of interest determined by attendees. For more information, see the Guidelines for Speaker and Workshop Proposals. Proposals are due by August 14, 2020.
LSC welcomes a broad range of presentation proposals for the 2021 Innovations in Technology Conference, but we are particularly interested in the justice community’s COVID-19 response and recovery efforts. This can include sessions on the development of new technology solutions that address the pandemic and economic crisis, or the expansion of existing tools to respond to the increased need for technology-enabled services and information. Presentation topics can include:
- Court Technology
- COVID-19 Response and Recovery
- Intake, Triage, Hotlines
- Internal Operations
- IT Systems
- Legal Design/Regulatory Reform/Innovations
- Pro Bono/Private Attorney Involvement
- Remote Service Delivery
- Self-Represented Litigants/Self-Help
- Technology for Advocates
- Websites/Online Tools
Conference Schedule and Agenda
The 2021 conference schedule and agenda will be announced in the fall, but you can view the detailed conference schedule and agenda from the 2020 ITC.
- Legal aid advocates
- Legal technologists
- Court self-help staff
- Pro bono coordinators
- Private attorneys
- Law school students and professors
- Document assembly developers and project managers
- Law librarians
- Anyone with an interest in how to use technology in the delivery of legal services
What Can I Learn
Session topics cover a range of issues on how technology can increase access to justice, including:
- tools to improve limited scope or self-representation for those persons whom legal aid organizations are not able to represent fully;
- improving the efficiency and effectiveness of access, triage, and intake;
- encouraging and supporting pro bono;
- cutting edge technology developments for legal services using artificial intelligence;
- delivering legal services remotely to hard-to-reach populations;
- providing legal services staff and pro bono advocates with better litigation and case development support; and
- improving management and internal operations in legal aid offices, including how organizations can meet LSC's new performance criteria around technology.
The conference registration will open in September 2020. For questions about the conference, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are opportunities to exchange information in more informal Affinity Group sessions, which attendees help to determine at the time of registration. A plenary called Rapid Fire Tech provides fast-paced presentations that highlight technology project successes, new ideas, and lessons learned.
The official Twitter hashtag for the conference is #LSCITC