LSC's Innovations in Technology Virtual Conference
The ITC grew out of LSC's Technology Initiative Grant (TIG) Program, which seeks to expand access to justice by promoting technological innovations in legal services delivery and pro se assistance. It brings together a broad range of professionals to showcase technology projects and tools being implemented across the country and internationally to promote access to justice and high-quality legal representation for low-income people. The conference also provides an opportunity to network with a community of colleagues and to cultivate project ideas that could lead to successful TIG applications.
LSC's 2021 Innovations in Technology Conference (ITC2021) is coming to you virtually. ITC2021 will offer the same great content but re-imagined to work in a virtual environment. There will be pre-recorded presentations and podcasts to spark live discussions, engaging speakers, live interactive sessions, and networking opportunities. We plan to experiment with some other new delivery concepts as well.
Speakers and Workshops
The conference will include keynotes, plenaries, and a variety of break-out sessions, including technology demonstrations, short tech talks, and workshops showcasing best practices and lessons learned. There will also be affinity sessions for informal discussions around topics of interest determined by attendees.
LSC solicited presentation proposals for the 2021 Innovations in Technology Conference on a broad range of topics, including the justice community’s COVID-19 response and recovery efforts. Presentation topics may include:
- Court Technology
- COVID-19 Response and Recovery
- Intake, Triage, Hotlines
- Internal Operations
- IT Systems
- Legal Design/Regulatory Reform/Innovations
- Pro Bono/Private Attorney Involvement
- Remote Service Delivery
- Self-Represented Litigants/Self-Help
- Technology for Advocates
- Websites/Online Tools
Conference Schedule and Agenda
The 2021 conference will be held January 12-14 and the full schedule and agenda will be announced later this fall. You can view the detailed conference schedule and agenda from the 2020 ITC.
- Legal aid advocates
- Legal technologists
- Court self-help staff
- Pro bono coordinators
- Private attorneys
- Law school students and professors
- Document assembly developers and project managers
- Law librarians
- Anyone with an interest in how to use technology in the delivery of legal services
What Can I Learn
Session topics cover a range of issues on how technology can increase access to justice, including:
- tools to improve limited scope or self-representation for those persons whom legal aid organizations are not able to represent fully;
- improving the efficiency and effectiveness of access, triage, and intake;
- encouraging and supporting pro bono;
- cutting edge technology developments for legal services using artificial intelligence;
- delivering legal services remotely to hard-to-reach populations;
- providing legal services staff and pro bono advocates with better litigation and case development support; and
- improving management and internal operations in legal aid offices, including how organizations can meet LSC's new performance criteria around technology.
Even though the conference will be virtual, it will still include plenty of opportunities to exchange information in more informal affinity group discussions. We are also exploring new platforms that can provide more virtual networking experiences.
The conference registration will open in October 2020. For questions about the conference, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Innovations in Technology Conference offers unique opportunities for companies to demonstrate their corporate leadership in the civil legal aid technology community. LSC is looking for companies to sponsor the 2021 Innovations in Technology Virtual Conference. If your company is interested in sponsorship information, contact Laurel Freeman at email@example.com or (202) 295-1606 to discuss sponsorship options.
The official Twitter hashtag for the conference is #LSCITC