Legal Aid Line/Access & Visitation Hotline Attorneys - Legal Aid of NorthWest Texas
Legal Aid of NorthWest Texas (LANWT) seeks a dynamic, self-starting attorney who has a demonstrated commitment to public interest law to fill part-time contract attorney positions on our telephone hotlines located at our Dallas branch office. The Legal Aid Line (LAL) Attorney position is a part-time contract position for an attorney with some knowledge across a variety of substantive areas of civil litigation and administrative matters including, but not limited to, family law, housing and landlord tenant,consumer, probate and public benefits. The attorneys are responsible for conducting telephone intake, providing general advice or brief services and referral resources. The Access & Visitation Hotline (AG Hotline) Attorney position is a part-time contract position available for an attorney with some knowledge of family law to help staff the state-wide Access and Visitation Hotline. These attorneys are responsible for providing telephone information, guidance and referrals for people who have questions about parental rights, child support and visitation in Texas.
DESCRIPTION: LANWT is a nonprofit public interest law firm that provides high-quality free civil legal services to low-income persons from 15 offices in north and west Texas. The LAL and AG Hotlines are located in Dallas, Texas and handle incoming calls from people seeking information and legal assistance. These are part-time contract positions with 28 hours being the maximum number of hours available per week. The LAL position requires the ability to work 4 hour shifts from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. or from 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. during the period Monday thru Friday. The AG Hotline position requires the ability to work Monday thru Friday during the hours of 1:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m.
GENERAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: The attorney must be able to timely and promptly answer incoming calls, enter demographical data and summarize the caller’s issues into the computer database, provide advice or information and guidance and appropriate referrals including to social service providers, legal aid providers, and specific websites designed to provide pro se assistance on these particular issues; and any other duties assigned by the supervising attorney, branch manager or Chief Executive Officer or a designee. A newly licensed attorney will be given training and be under the close guidance of the supervising attorney.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Answer incoming hotline calls in a professional and considerate manner,
2. Enter specific demographical and financial data and screen for eligibility,
3. Create a written summary of the callers’ questions and the advice, information,
guidance or brief service provided,
4. Develop and maintain knowledge of the pertinent areas of the law,
5. Maintain knowledge of social service agencies and websites that can assist callers,
6. Provide social service and legal information and guidance on callers’ questions,
7. Attend the initial training and on-going training scheduled to assist the attorneys, and
8. Other duties in support of the hotlines as may be assigned by the supervising attorney,
branch manager, Chief Executive Officer or a designee.
• Licensed to practice in Texas or eligible for admission to the Texas bar by reciprocity.
• Prior legal services, public interest, or volunteer experience serving low-income persons is preferred.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Bilingual (Spanish/English) ability required.
SALARY: Current entry-level rate of pay for an attorney shall be $28.00 per hour. The maximum allowable hours worked shall be 28 hours per week.
All interested applicants should apply on our Careers page:
For internal applicants, please use this Intranet link:
For applicants outside of Legal Aid, please use this Internet link:
http://www.lanwt.org (click on header careers link)
Please submit a cover letter expressing interest, a resume, and a list of professional references during the application process.
LEGAL AID OF NORTHWEST TEXAS IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
VETERANS ENCOURGAGED TO APPLY