Executive Director - Legal Aid Service of Northeastern Minnesota (LASNEM)
The Legal Aid Service of Northeastern Minnesota (LASNEM) seeks an Executive Director to lead a dedicated non-profit organization that provides high-quality legal services assistance to low-income residents of 11 counties in Northeastern Minnesota. Founded in 1952, LASNEM has a staff of 30 across its offices in Duluth, Virginia, and Grand Rapids, and satellite offices in Pine City and Brainerd. The Executive Director works out of our main office in Duluth.
The Executive Director (ED) will lead a strong, client-centered organization with a seasoned, dedicated staff and Board of Directors with a passionate vision for providing advocacy and the highest quality legal services to its clients. The ED will bring litigation, leadership, and administrative experience to further LASNEM’s collaborative relationships with the Courts and other legal and human services providers. In this role, the ED will be challenged to address the widespread legal needs of LASNEM’s client community by growing and diversifying funding sources and demonstrating a commitment to the innovative use of technology to enhance the delivery of services.
- Serve as the public face of LASNEM, nurturing effective relationships between LASNEM and clients, funders, human services organizations/groups, bar associations, judiciary, businesses and other legal aid communities.
- Perform significant management duties including supervision of staff, mentoring of leaders from within the organization, promoting skill development to effectively address personnel and resource allocation issues.
- Provide financial stewardship and oversight in development of budgets, compliance with grant and contract requirements, and increasing and diversifying funding sources.
- Maintain the fiscal and operational strength of LASNEM by meeting Minnesota Legal Services Advisory Committee, Legal Services Corporation and other funders’ requirements.
- Support and develop a diverse and dedicated Board of Directors; maintain regular and effective communication to inform the Board of LASNEM’s on-going financial status, efforts toward meeting LASNEM’s mission and other information necessary to provide effective stewardship.
- Lead LASNEM with energy and dedication, and promote teamwork among all LASNEM programs, staff, and services.
- Envision and implement technological innovations that enable staff to work effectively and the public to access legal services.
- Hire and retain top quality staff.
- Current license to practice law in Minnesota, or a current license to practice in any state with the ability to obtain Minnesota State Bar License within one year.
- At least five years of legal experience, preferably related to representing low income clients.
- Passionate commitment to improving the lives of low income Minnesotans.
- Demonstrated management experience at a policy-making level including non-profit program planning, evaluation, staff supervision, legal systems development, financial oversight, reporting and budget development.
- Experience in compliance with grant, contract and legal aid principles and requirements.
- Experience working productively with individuals and organizations with shared or diverse goals, including staff, Board of Directors, bar associations, judiciary, client communities and the general community.
Other Desirable Skills and Characteristics
- Excellent leadership and strong interpersonal skills; a collaborative approach to problem-solving and a big-picture visionary.
- Demonstrated decision-making skills including ability to make tough decisions.
- Experience developing and maintaining constructive, positive professional relationships.
- Commitment to the use of technology to improve and extend services.
- Experience and skill in engaging with the legal aid client community and with an active Board of Directors.
- Good judgment, clear and effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Resume along with three professional references, please include contact information.
- Cover letter expressing in detail your interest in the position, your qualifications, and what you hope to contribute to the organization’s future.
- Documentation of current bar licensure.
To receive full consideration, please submit all application materials to the hiring committee at email@example.com by December 19, 2016.